Thursday, January 13, 2011

How My Life Became High Maintenance

Just like the rest of America, one of my new year's resolutions this year was to take better care of my body. As a kid, I never had any issues with weight, but in the last few years of college, I've gained about 30 lbs. It was hard for me to cope with my deteriorating body image, especially with all the extra responsibilities I was putting on myself.

I dedicated the last three years to every extracurricular service and leadership activity you could imagine. A co-ed fraternity, student government, a sorority... president of this, chair of that, etc. etc. I learned so much and really developed myself, but being in charge of everything all the time can make it hard to take care of yourself. Now that most of those things have been passed on to new leadership, I've really been focusing on myself. It feels good to be including stuff like eating right, sleep and exercise into my schedule now.

This week, I finally got past all the stress and guilt of picking an exercise routine and just got down to business. Jake has been dropping me off at the school's gym when he goes to work around 7:40am. Then I do about 40 minutes of cardio on the elliptical (I can even read on that thing... kinda), walk home and get ready for work. I'm also eating very consciously and tracking my diet and exercise every day. I feel pretty charged up about this simple plan so far, but I'm not going to lie... it has been REALLY HARD. Funny thing is... it's not the exercise that is causing me grief, it's all the little stuff:

-Trying to convince myself to come out from underneath a warm blanket on a cold morning.
-Learning to read on an elliptical.
-Distracting myself for 40 minutes from the fact that I'm working out.
-Convincing myself not to quit when I gained two pounds in the first three days.
-Having the strength to get in the shower.
-Having the strength to get out of the shower.
-Having the strength to blow-dry and style my hair after the shower.
-Staying awake while I put on my make up.
-How the walk to work seems three times longer.
-Staying awake at my desk once I get to work.
-Being ready for bed at 9pm.

But, there is some really good stuff too:

-Getting up with my hubby in the morning makes him happy.
-Getting to eat breakfast.
-Being on time to work more often.
-Knowing that I'm doing my best.
-Feeling like I accomplished something every day, even if I did nothing at work or at home.
-Not feeling guilty about taking a nap when I want one.
-Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't kill their husbands... they just don't! (Legally Blonde, anyone?)

I know that results take time and that I will get more energy the longer I persist... I can do this. I hope wherever your new years resolutions are, you're doing well with them. Lastly, I just want to give snaps to all the moms out there who have lost their pregnancy weight after having a baby. I am so tired from waking up, working out, and carrying fruit around in my purse that if I even had to LOOK at an infant... I would scream. You are my hero.

1 comment:

  1. I'm proud of you, lovely. You're successes aren't going unnoticed, and I can't wait to celebrate those with you!

    ReplyDelete